A water pump inside the fish tank pumps water up into the grow bed. The water floods the grow bed and waters the plants. The water then drains back into the fish tank. The pump is connected to a pre-programmed timer and the cycle repeats over and over automatically during the day. The water pump also aerates the fish tank via a fountain while it is in operation.
The Small Aquaponics System has a very low power consumption and only uses 22 Watts of power maximum (during the periods when the pump is operating). The Aquaponic grow bed uses a flood and drain cycle, so the pump only runs for around 10hrs per day.
Parts Included in the Small Aquaponics System
- Grow Bed – 30L (inert black polypropylene)
- Round fish tank – 90L
- Clay Pebbles
- Aluminium Frame – 80cm high
- Water Pump – 3 year warranty (10m lead)
- Irrigation fittings including flexible tube and specialised fittings
- 24hr Timer with timing programmed
- Setup and Aquaponics Guide
Getting the Small Aquaponics System Up and Running is Simple
Our suggestion is to start with 4 – 8 goldfish in the system. If you are experienced with Aquaponics you could start with 20 perch fingerlings and grow them for 2-4 months, before transferring them to a larger system.